3A My Entrepreneurship Experience

I've been surrounded by entrepreneurship my entire life. Both of my parents are entrepreneurs, especially my dad (definitely think he's considered a serial entrepreneur). My dad especially owns a variety of different things ranging from contraction companies to bars/restaurants/ and night clubs and even has a few patented items. He has been self-employed essentially my entire life, has had really successful businesses and ideas and some really not. I believe my parents being entrepreneurs is what led me to be (kind of) one. At a young age I was always doing things to make money, but I wanted to stand out. Where kids did lemonade stands, I made my own special juice, I call it that it was basically Gatorade, and went out to the trail where people in my neighborhood jogged and sold it to them. I sold t-shirts, bracelets, and when those silly bands things were popular & banned in my school I would sneak them in and sell them to people. 

There was a game everyone played when I was in 4th grade called Poptropica, and when people got stuck on a level, I would charge $10 and complete it for them- just looking up how to do it on YouTube if I didn't already know. Then in high school I joined the Young Entrepreneurship Association, who worked with the Sarasota chamber of commerce and helped me start up my own non-profit organization. This was a great experience because it was like an 8 week long course where you learn the ins and outs of setting up a business. They had speakers come in every week to discuss different aspects of starting a business or creating products. I had to create and entire business plan and pitch the idea to a panel of investors. They also worked with local entrepreneurs who came in and each individual student got a mentor specifically selected based on what their business idea was. My mentor was the lady who ran the boys and girls club and it was so incredibly helpful, especially starting a non-profit she helped with setting up all the taxing and filing things. 

All of this, with my love for the show Shark Tank, has made entrepreneurship something I'm really fascinated with. Before starting college, I didn't think there was a class for it, as my experiences with it never really involved someone being taught how to be an entrepreneur, so that's why I took this class. I've been exposed to a lot of entrepreneurship in my life, and I thought it would be really interesting and hopefully beneficial to take this course. My goal here I guess is just to learn about entrepreneurship and what to do in order to be successful at it. 

Comments

  1. Hi Maddi. It's actually pretty funny that you mention the Poptropica game because it is something I used to play as well, and I would always get stuck on a certain level. So charging people to get past a certain level is genius! I am also extremely fond of the show Shark Tank, and I watch it regularly. I too think it is fascinating, and has definitely heightened my love and interest for entrepreneurship. I think the Entrepreneur Association that you joined seems very interesting, and it seems like you got a lot out of it. I also took this class for the same reason and I am hoping to learn skills that will help me be a more successful entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maddi! I also am a huge fan of Shark Tank. I love how you mentioned smuggling silly bands into school and selling them. They were also banned at my school, and everyone I knew was absolutely crazy about them back then. I'm sure you made a killing! I was also super interested in the 8 week entrepreneurship course that you spoke about, and I wish that my home town had something like that when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddi,

    I love your discussion about charging people for Poptropica. I wish I had done something like this in high school. My grand-aunt told me she used to write fake doctors notes for people to skip class because her parents were doctors so she copied one of their templates and wrote a "messy" signature. (Of course this was 2 generations ago when this was way less of a big deal). Anyways, your story along with my aunts show that small opportunities could take off and make you so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maddi - your post was very inspiring! I think your example with the Poptropica game was a very clever way of making some money so young! Although I didn't get started that early, I discovered my passion for entrepreneurship in middle school. I was always trying to think of out of the box ways to make a little money. Also, Shark Tank is my favorite show! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maddi - your post was very inspiring! I think your example with the Poptropica game was a very clever way of making some money so young! Although I didn't get started that early, I discovered my passion for entrepreneurship in middle school. I was always trying to think of out of the box ways to make a little money. Also, Shark Tank is my favorite show! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment