Bug List

1. When Apple products start glitching out, specifically when new products are coming out.

  • It's been said that Apple does this around the time their new products release in order to convince more people to buy/upgrade


2. When its not even that cold outside but places put the heat on high in doors

  • Because it's cold out they don't want people to be cold both inside and outside, so they turn the heat on to help warm up


3. My specific apartment complex does't have bathtubs in the bathrooms, only stand up showers

  • It was probably cheaper and saved them a little bit of room since they did not make the stand up showers very large either 

4. When you have to call places to cancel a subscription, instead of doing it online. For example, I had a subscription with Barrons to do some research for a project and had to call their customer support to cancel it, while the guy spent 15 minutes trying to convince me not to

  • I'm sure doing this does allow them to keep or get new clients as a lot of times they offer discounted options, or makes people keep their subscriptions longer because they keep forgetting to call


5.  When you're on a website and it asks you to sign in to continue, but then once you do doesn't reload back to where you were or what you were doing. This happened specifically to me on ohpolly while I was buying some clothes

  • Because some sites don't save that "guest user" data once you login


6. When I leave my clothes at a friends house and not only do they not make an effort to give them back, but post pictures wearing my clothes without even asking.

  • They probably like my clothes and aren't interested in giving them back


7. How I know not to leave my house between like 4-7 pm because traffic is so bad it would probably be quicker to walk.

  • I live off of Clark Buttler and 20th Ave, its a very busy area but the intersection is small and it turns into only two lanes. There is simply just not enough room for the amount of people going through those areas to get through 


9. I've been having to Uber recently while my car gets fixed, and I've noticed that each time it seems like the Uber's take a worse and worse route to get me where I want.

  • I don't know if its the app or the drivers that decide the route, but I believe its done for the longest option because they can charge more for it


10.  When I order UberEats I put very specific instructions on how to get to my apartment building, yet sometimes they just ignore them and call me all confused because they have no idea where to go.

  • The drivers just don't look at the note


11. Trying to explain to my mother how to use technology, despite the instructions being right in front of her face. For example, we just got ESPN+ and she couldn't figure out how to get it on the TV even though it said right on the TV to login on your phone and put in the code.

  • Technology must stress her out so she doesn't understand what is right in front of her 


12. It drives me crazy knowing something in a show that the characters don't for almost an entire season. For example, Season 4 of Power drove me absolutely crazy because the entire season is the characters trying to figure out something you as the audience know the answer to

  • I know this is a specific technique done in shows/movies to make them more dramatic or build anticipation


13. When the wifi in my apartment stops working. I had no issues with this for the first year and a half I lived here, but recently it seems like anytime after 12 am it just starts to go out a lot.

  • We recently got new management and I think they switched internet providers 


14. At the gym when people don't put the weights back in the right spot. Specifically a lot of gyms even label what weight goes where and people still manage to put them all over.

  • People are just lazy or not paying attention, or might just not care where the weights go


15. I know that certain Starbucks don't make certain drinks very well. Depending on what drink I want I will probably go to a different one because some of them the drinks taste awful, despite them having instructions on how to make each drink

  • Especially for coffee drinks, certain Starbucks burn their coffee a lot more often, and I'm sure some people just eyeball drinks and don't really make them accurately 


16. Spending a lot of money on AirPods for them to not be noise canceling. I know they just released the noise canceling ones, but they've had like 3 versions before those and I bought the recent ones (non noise canceling)

  • Apple is just overpriced and okay quality 


17. How cheaper candles, specifically the ones at Michaels, melt weird and then the wick ends up getting stuck under wax and its hard to light (compared to Yankee Candles that melt evenly and don't have this issue)

  • I guess the wax or how the candle is made is different in cheaper candles than Yankee Candle 


18. Long lines at the post office or grocery store and they have ONE person working. This happened to me earlier at the post office, there was a line of people out the door and only one lady working.

  • These places may just be understaffed because they can't/don't want to pay for more staff, or have unreliable staff 


19. How it's $600+ to fix the back glass on a phone I've already paid almost $2000 for

  • Apple products are expensive so they are expensive to fix as well


20. The people that live above me are constantly so loud and obnoxious, its like they're just unaware that people live around them at all

  • I think its a group of 3 college boys who likely just do not care or understand how to live in an apartment complex 

Reflection:
I will say I have been working on this list for a while now, so coming up with the items wasn't very tricky for me. When I found out about the assignment I started a list on my phone of things I noticed through the day that bugged me, and after about a week had a little over 20 "bugs".  So by starting the assignment about a week in advanced, coming up with bugs what relatively easy over that time frame. I did notice that I had written a couple things down twice at different points, so I must've noticed them multiple times throughout the week. Thinking about the why was a little trickier for me, especially for things I didn't really know the exact answer to. However, looking at the why did give me a little more understand of the "bug," and made some of them slightly less buggy to me. 

Comments

  1. Hi Maddi. I read through all of your bugs and I can honestly say that I agree with a good majority of them, as a lot of them are things that tend to annoy me as well. I believe the one I can relate to the most would be when you have to call to cancel a subscription because there are no instructions online. This bothers me because if you just want to cancel the thing, why should we have to go through a whole process to do so? This isn't going to make me change my mind. On the other hand, I have to disagree with your reflection because my list actually took me a while to figure out, even though I had been working on it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maddi. I enjoyed reading your post because I could relate to many of your bugs. For example, I lived at the Woodlands off 62nd and the apartment above mine had huge dogs that would run back and forth constantly. Over the course of this assignment, I had to break my bug list down (come up with 4-5 then take a break) because some of my bugs were too closely related or I simply couldn't come up with more. Overall great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddi!
    I have next door neighbors that are the exact same as your apartment neighbors! I can hear EVERYTHING my neighbors say/do and it's very annoying to have to listen to it all day, and especially at night when I'm trying to get homework done. I think people just don't realize how loud they're being and don't realize that other people can hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maddie - I struggle with many of the same inconveniences as you do. Your example mentioning the post office being understaffed is one inconvenience that I deal with quite frequently, as I sell a lot of items on eBay and constantly have to stand in long lines. I believe that another root to this issue is that there are not enough offices around, forcing people from all over to ship items at the same location. Additionally, I think it is very interested that you mentioned older Apple products glitching out as new products are released. I have experienced this and have also heard the talk regarding Apple doing this on purpose to force you to buy their new products. All in all, your post was very thoughtful and relatable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment