20 A- Growing Your Social Capital
1) Colleen at the Rusty Crickett
The Rusty Crickett is a store where I am from in Sarasota, Florida. It has a lot of unique items such as clothing, apparel, jewelry, and more. I chose Colleen as my market expert. I did this because their store, like mine would, caters to women. Though they don't specifically have fitness apparel, they are popular for their clothes and prom dresses, and their target market is similar to mine in terms of age. I had known about the Rusty Crickett, and shopped there before, so the shop came into mind when I read this assignment. I simply sent them a message on their Facebook page explaining the assignment, and scheduled a phone call. We discussed my business idea and I asked for any thoughts or advice she had, especially when it came to targeting that segment. For example, how she got the word out about her business, and how she advertises it. One thing she mentioned that stuck out, is since her business is primarily focused around women, she likes to promote the fact that it is founded and ran by women as well, sort of a by women for women thing. I think speaking with Colleen will be really helpful, especially if I ever do start this business, because she has a very successful business in a similar market, that has been around for years.
2) Mark at Fit 2 Run
I used to work at restaurant that had a Fit 2 Run directly next door to it. Fit 2 Run is a fitness apparel store, very similar to the store I would open, carrying a variety of different fitness brands, for both men and women. I reached out to my old manager at the restaurant and asked if he would give my information to the Fit to Run manager to contact me. I choose Mark as my domain expert. We were able to set up a phone call, where I really just spoke to him about my business, and discussed his. I asked about running a store like this, what type of people he hires, and if he finds that people come into the store knowing what they want/already needing something, or if their staff needs to push items more. We also discussed what type of people shop there, and what the demographics usually were. Mark definitely gave me a lot of insight on running a business that's very similar to mine. Taking to Mark would be very beneficial to me in the future if I ever need help or any advice about my business, especially because the concepts are really similar.
3) A supplier in the industry
I reached out to multiple different people/companies via DM on social media and emails, however, because of everything going on it is harder to reach people. I wasn't able to go into places and talk to people, and unfortunately no one that would count as a supplier has responded to me.
My networking experience in the past have always been kind of set up for me. They have only ever been with a friend of a parent, or one of their friends, so this was pretty different. I did kind of know the manager of Fit 2 Run already as employees came in and ordered take-out from us a lot, but for the others I did them all on my own. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in contact with a supplier, but I feel like I did try and even asked Mark about their supplier. I think personally, I was able to kind of put myself out there a little more, and ask and be comfortable with someone saying no. I feel like that is something I will take with me when networking in the future, the worst they can say is no, and if they do just move on.
The Rusty Crickett is a store where I am from in Sarasota, Florida. It has a lot of unique items such as clothing, apparel, jewelry, and more. I chose Colleen as my market expert. I did this because their store, like mine would, caters to women. Though they don't specifically have fitness apparel, they are popular for their clothes and prom dresses, and their target market is similar to mine in terms of age. I had known about the Rusty Crickett, and shopped there before, so the shop came into mind when I read this assignment. I simply sent them a message on their Facebook page explaining the assignment, and scheduled a phone call. We discussed my business idea and I asked for any thoughts or advice she had, especially when it came to targeting that segment. For example, how she got the word out about her business, and how she advertises it. One thing she mentioned that stuck out, is since her business is primarily focused around women, she likes to promote the fact that it is founded and ran by women as well, sort of a by women for women thing. I think speaking with Colleen will be really helpful, especially if I ever do start this business, because she has a very successful business in a similar market, that has been around for years.
2) Mark at Fit 2 Run
I used to work at restaurant that had a Fit 2 Run directly next door to it. Fit 2 Run is a fitness apparel store, very similar to the store I would open, carrying a variety of different fitness brands, for both men and women. I reached out to my old manager at the restaurant and asked if he would give my information to the Fit to Run manager to contact me. I choose Mark as my domain expert. We were able to set up a phone call, where I really just spoke to him about my business, and discussed his. I asked about running a store like this, what type of people he hires, and if he finds that people come into the store knowing what they want/already needing something, or if their staff needs to push items more. We also discussed what type of people shop there, and what the demographics usually were. Mark definitely gave me a lot of insight on running a business that's very similar to mine. Taking to Mark would be very beneficial to me in the future if I ever need help or any advice about my business, especially because the concepts are really similar.
3) A supplier in the industry
I reached out to multiple different people/companies via DM on social media and emails, however, because of everything going on it is harder to reach people. I wasn't able to go into places and talk to people, and unfortunately no one that would count as a supplier has responded to me.
My networking experience in the past have always been kind of set up for me. They have only ever been with a friend of a parent, or one of their friends, so this was pretty different. I did kind of know the manager of Fit 2 Run already as employees came in and ordered take-out from us a lot, but for the others I did them all on my own. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in contact with a supplier, but I feel like I did try and even asked Mark about their supplier. I think personally, I was able to kind of put myself out there a little more, and ask and be comfortable with someone saying no. I feel like that is something I will take with me when networking in the future, the worst they can say is no, and if they do just move on.
Hi Maddi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post for this assignment. I like how you were honest and said you couldn't find a supplier in the industry. The coronavirus situation did make this assignment harder. Usually when I talk to someone about their career, I prefer it to be in person. FaceTiming and texting feels a little impersonal. I also feel like all of my networking experiences have been "set up" for me through friends or family...but sometimes I wonder if thats what networking is all about?
Hi Madison,
ReplyDeleteIt seems as though Colleen and Mark both provided you with great insight as to what it takes to run a boutique-like store such as the one you are describing. I believe that advertising and promoting your business would be a key to success as illustrated by Colleen and her business. Also, it is so great how much insight you got from Mark on the operational side of the business and seeing exactly what it takes to run a place like this. Awesome post!
Hey Maddi!
ReplyDeleteI was super intrigued by your post and It was very interesting to read! For your supplier section, I completely relate to you. In my post, it was extremely difficult to find people who fit the description that was given, and I totally understand not being able to find a supplier. On the other hand though, your interaction with Mark was super cool to read because It not only gave you insight on how you would run your business, but also showed how you already had connections in the industry.